4/5/10

Connectivism

This mind map is a glimpse of the resources that I utilize to learn, gather, and research information. The mind map is an evolution of the resources that I rely on. Traditionally, I learned from my family and friends. Most of the information that I received was via word of mouth - talks with my parents, friends, teachers and mentors. Outside of this network I was taught to look to the traditional media such as newspapers, television and later the Internet came into play.



Digitally, I rely on the Internet tools, such as Google, social networks (i.e. twitter, Facebook, Linked In, etc…). For convenience, I rely on my iPhone for podcast and Apple applications, because I can listen to my podcast while working out or during my commute to work. Personally, I enjoy the digital learning because it is both digital and auto stimulating. I even listen to talk radio on my ipod at night as I go to sleep. I believe that as I sleep the content is, in some strange way seeping into by brain. The Internet and digital tools are more interactive that traditional media. I like being able to click through references as I read Wikis. Everything on the Internet is direct and clear cut. I feel like digital learning is faster and more effective.



When I have questions, the first resource that I tap into is still my Dad. He knows everything and if he doesn’t know, he can always point me in the right direction. If my father is not available, I usually “Google it.” I trust Google to provide relevant content, just as I trust my father. I studied the search engine platform that Google provides and it is very well thought of. There is a science that search engine optimization provides that makes searching for information more efficient. Another attractive element of the Internet is that the user can easily cross reference material and content.


As we are all products of our environment, we are all connected to the networks and influences around us. The effect that our family, friends and co-workers have on our network of knowledge is stimulated in many ways. In most instances we don’t have a choice or rather cannot ignore the effect that these networks have on us, because we are constantly interacting with our family, friends and people on our social and professional networks. However, there are network avenues that we seek and tap into on our own, such as the blogs we choose, the television stations that we watch or the newspapers that we read. Yet, whether we voluntarily seek information through our networks or pick up learned behaviors from our daily environments, it is all connected in a way that helps us grow and learn from various avenues. Again, this is the most fascinating element of interactivity, social networking, blogs, etc… it is a web of information that is relevant or irrelevant depending on what a person is seeking or has a need for at any particular time. It is an amazing thing and I think that everyone will agree that, in terms of learning and passing knowledge down to generations to come, the Internet and Social networking in the hieroglyphics of our time.




No comments:

Post a Comment