4/18/10

MY EVOLUTION OF LEARNING

 

My evolution of learning from week one until now has changed tremendously.  Initially, I chose behaviorism because, as a child I was very observant and I relied on the behaviors of others to learn how to act. However, after reading and studying to various learning theories, I understand that I learn many different ways.  My outlook on learning was a one point, one dimensional, whereas it is more multi-dimensional, as it should be.

By simply knowing and understanding each theory per the chart, I see that I utilize adult learning principles, because I unlike in my earlier years as I mentioned before, I worked to get grades.  Today, my education is more valuable to me in terms of how I am actually going to use this degree.  As an adult learner, I also reply on lessoning and actively seeking information, opinions, facts, experiences from my peers, not just my pool of previous knowledge. Moreover, I love the flexibility of adult learning.  The technology makes it easer to fit my schoolwork into my busy schedule.

Connectivism, is another theory that I feel really applies to my life.  I am constantly collaborating and expanding my network (personal and professional) by using the Internet, social networking sites, and blogs to gather information.  I have also, through my own ID blog started to actively contribute to my network by posting to and developing my own blog.  Learning has become more enjoyable because I consistently communicate with others, not simply reading chapters, doing assignments, and other individual learning activities.

Through social learning, I am again, able to interact with others and observe how my peers digest information.  With this information, I tap into my own working knowledge and determine if the information and behaviors that I learn from others works for me and are applicable to my academic, professional and even personal learning experiences.

Through constructivism, I’ve found my individual academic satisfaction.  By completing and understanding my assignments and individual task, i.e. The Learning Matrix, I have more confidence in my ability to learn and utilize new information.  It is very exciting! Moreover, I feel more prepared to teach others as I continue to learn and build on my own in various ways.  I enjoy and look forward to the challenge of learning and be able to communicate what I’ve learn to other using ID.

Finally, by completing The Learning Matrix chart. I understand that behaviorism and cognitivism are second nature and always plays a role in how I learn.  By going learning and understanding all of the learning theories, I see that my thinking and ability to learn is more complex that I originally thought.  Behavioral and cognitive learning is learning at it’s simplifies form, but all humans have the ability to expand and exercise their minds to achieve individual learning.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment